Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Using Frequent Flyer Points

We have heaps of frequent flyer points with Thai airlines accrued over the past few years but only in the past 7 monts have we tried to use them to obtain an upgrade from economy to business class from Oz to Bangkok. No luck. Do they actually have any upgrade seats available? Has any one had any success? Is there a secret to getting an upgrade that we need to know about or is it a big con with points allocated that are useless?





Any advice from the forum wizards would be appreciated.





Using Frequent Flyer Points


You might be better going on to the Airlines Forum. There are members there who know all about FF points and how to use them.



Also try the FlyerTalk Forum. There is one just for Thai Airways at flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=503



Using Frequent Flyer Points


Arandora





Many thanks for the prompt reply - much appreciated. I found the site helpful athough I don%26#39;t think an upgrade looks very likely......




I%26#39;ve accumulated loads of FF points over the past few years travelling RTW and to Thailand - unfortunately with different airlines. I think you need to be a VERY frequent flyer with one airline or airline alliance to get real value. I can%26#39;t even use our Qantas ones in the Qantas Shop as that is for those living in Australia or NZ only.




After reading the latest on Thai Airways website it seems they are stopping airmiles on economy bookings from July 1st. this year as well as cutting some flights. Not sure if the airmiles is being stopped across the board or just on LHR-BKK flights. I understand you have to accrue 50,000 a year to get any upgrades not added up to over several years like i have.



Andygsxr.




don%26#39;t know about Thai airways but I am over the moon with Emirates. I have just used my FF%26#39;s to get full return to UK / Bkk and upgrade to BC





Can%26#39;t speak highly enough of them




Thai Airways aren%26#39;t stopping the air miles on all economy flights - you now have to find out the code for your flights (not flight number). I phoned their office and was told I wouldn%26#39;t receive points for either of my flights nor my internal flights this year - very annoying. I was told I could pay extra to go on a different coded flight and get miles - which seems pointless. Apparently they did this before and so many customers were angry they changed it again - so hopefully it will change again soon!




We also find it hard to get Royal Orchid upgrades from Sydney, but returning to Sydney we usually/always can get an upgrade.



While in Thailand we have also got upgrades while actually at the airport, waiting for the flight.




Hi, I also accrued loads of air miles and last year I phoned and asked what to do to upgrade from Madrid to Bangkok - I had a Y ticket last year, they told me the dates available to upgrade, and that was it. This year I have just upgraded again as I still had loads of air miles left - I booked a Y ticket and then phoned the Thai office - they told me to book a M ticket which cost me 55 euros more and then they told me the dates they had available in Business Class and that was it - I am upgraded again. I only had 32,000 miles left this year and with the first ticket I had I needed 40,000 miles so I paid the very little difference to the M ticket. I tried ringing twice to inquire about the upgrade - the first time the lady told me there were no seats at all available in December - I came off the phone and thought I would try one more time and hey presto, I got a guy and he told me there were seats on the 4th December so we are a very happy couple at the moment, looking forward to our two months holiday. Hope this helps. Karen. Ibiza, Spain.




It was actually cheaper for us to use our points (plus some we had to purchase0 to fly business class return than to purchase economy and upgrade. Have you looked at this option? It was one of the staff in the Sydney office who worked it out for us, and we were able to book then and there. As the points only have a life of 3 (sometimes 4) years we wanted to use them and that was the most cost effective.




Just an update on my earlier post. With 60,000 frequent flyer miles with Thai we tried for an upgrade from either Sydney to Bangkok or BKK to Paris, Paris to Athens , Athens to Bangkok and then BKK to Sydney. Unfortunately no luck on any sector. Information about getting an upgrade was varied any depended in which city we were in when we rang.Ie no asking at the airport, ring the day before the flight, try a few days before etc. We had started ringing in December 2007 right through to the time of departure but never any luck. We lose a bucketful of points soon unfortunately. It all seems too hard I think and I suspect very few seats are being released by Thai for upgrades.

No comments:

Post a Comment