Sunday, April 4, 2010

Old or new Bangkok? Mid-range hotel suggestions

This is the first time that we are visiting Bangkok and I am a little bit confused about where to stay.





Sukhumvit or the riverside? I am travelling with 2 small children (2 and 4) so I want to be in a safe area. Could anyone tell me where is the red district (so I can stay away of it)





We would like to see all the Old Bangkok (palace, temples, etc) but I%26#39;ve read that it is an area favoured by backpackers (nothing wrong with that, but probbaly not my scene on a family trip.





And Sukhumvit seems ok, but I am a little concerned about transportation. I know that the Skyline and Metro serve this area, but they don%26#39;t seem to go to Old Bangkok, is that right? Are other forms of transportation convenient (I know taxis are cheap, but will we spend hours in traffic trying to get from Sukhumvit to the Palace?).







We are looking for a mid-range hotel (as we have splurged our budget in a fancy place in Phuket!). We don%26#39;t need anything fancy (no poolor anything like that) only a clean, safe place, with easy accessibility and if possible, some Thai character would be a plus.





Thanks,





J



Old or new Bangkok? Mid-range hotel suggestions


Any place close to the BTS skytrain should be fine, but areas with better access to tourist sites and the skytrain might be Siam or Silom, as the most effective way of visiting Old Bangkok (Rattanakosin) would be sktrain to Saphan Taksin station and the Chao Phrya Express boat from the Ta Sathorn pier under the station, to Ta Chang, for the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, National Museum, etc. Jim Thompson House and MBK are right next to National Stadium Station.



Old or new Bangkok? Mid-range hotel suggestions


Thanks so much dragonc, it was very enlightening.





I can see that I was wrong about the Skyline not covering the old area.Yes, my mapping reading skills are quite poor, haha! In my defence, I was overloaded with a crash course in Thailand in only a few hours, my head was spinning!!!





Cheers





J




Check out the Centre Point Silom, an apartment hotel located close to Saphan Taksin skytrain station, the river and has very reasonable rates.



We have stayed there several times and have friends who have as well and all of us have been very happy with the accommodation. Just been recently refurbished (not sure if that%26#39;s finished but not a problem anyhow )- the studio and one bedroom apartments are very spacious and well appointed. Another bonus is that it is located above Robinson%26#39;s Department Store which is good for shopping and has a supermarket in the basement for supplies if needed for your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment